Vol. 21 No. 1 (2023)
MJM MedTalks (S01E02): A Conversation with Dr. Shirin Enger
October 28, 2022
McGill Journal of Medicine (MJM) MedTalks is a Podcast series where members of the McGill Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences are interviewed on topics related to career, research, advocacy and more. The aim of MedTalks is to open a space where faculty members can share information and advice for trainees in healthcare and medical sciences. In this episode, MSc candidate and MJM Podcast Team member Nadia Blostein interviews Dr. Shirin A. Enger, medical physicist and Associate Professor at the Gerald Bronfman Department of Oncology & Medical Physics Unit. This interview focuses on the interdisciplinary and translational nature of medical physics research, the workflow of radiotherapy, and concludes with a list of open-source initiatives that Dr Enger’s group has participated in, including the McMed Hacks Series on Machine Learning and Medical Imaging. The show notes include a transcript of the podcast, a more detailed content overview, glossary of important terms and resources and references. This episode was recorded and edited by MJM Podcast Team member Nadia Blostein with input from the entire MJM Podcast Team and transcribed by Susan Wang.
- Enger lab website: https://engerlab.com/
- McMed Hacks: https://mcmedhacks.com
- How tissue composition affects dosimetry (paper): Mann-Krzisnik D, Verhaegen F, Enger SA. The influence of tissue composition uncertainty on dose distributions in brachytherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2018 Mar;126(3):394-410. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2018.01.007. Epub 2018 Feb 7. PMID: 29428259.
- RapidBrachyMCTPS, original paper: Famulari, G., Renaud, M.-A., Poole, C. M., Evans, M. D. C., Seuntjens, J., & Enger, S. A. (2018). RapidBrachyMCTPS: a Monte Carlo-based treatment planning system for brachytherapy applications. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 63(17), 175007.
- RapidBrachyMCTPS, newest release: Glickman, H., Antaki, M., Deufel, C., & Enger, S. A. (2020). RapidBrachyMCTPS 2.0: A Comprehensive and Flexible Monte Carlo-Based Treatment Planning System for Brachytherapy Applications. In arXiv [physics.med-ph]. arXiv. http://arxiv.org/abs/2007.02902
- RapidBrachyDL: Mao X, Pineau J, Keyes R, Enger SA. RapidBrachyDL: Rapid Radiation Dose Calculations in Brachytherapy Via Deep Learning. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 Nov 1;108(3):802-812. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2020.04.045. Epub 2020 May 12. PMID: 32413546.
- Brachytherapy shielding through intensity modulated brachytherapy (IMBT) in cervical cancer: Morcos M, Antaki M, Viswanathan AN, Enger SA. A novel minimally invasive dynamic-shield, intensity-modulated brachytherapy system for the treatment of cervical cancer. Med Phys. 2021 Jan;48(1):71-79. doi: 10.1002/mp.14459. Epub 2020 Oct 22. PMID: 32916763.
- Brachytherapy shielding through intensity modulated brachytherapy (IMBT) in prostate cancer: Famulari G, Duclos M, Enger SA. A novel 169Yb-based dynamic-shield intensity modulated brachytherapy delivery system for prostate cancer. Med Phys. 2020 Mar;47(3):859-868. doi: 10.1002/mp.13959. Epub 2019 Dec 30. PMID: 31828783.
- Studying the effects of different types of radiation on tumors: Shoemaker, T., Vuong, T., Glickman, H., Kaifi, S., Famulari, G., & Enger, S. A. (2019). Dosimetric Considerations for Ytterbium-169, Selenium-75, and Iridium-192 Radioisotopes in High-Dose-Rate Endorectal Brachytherapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 105(4), 875–883.
- Optimization in high-dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy: Antaki M, L Deufel C, Enger SA. Fast mixed integer optimization (FMIO) for high dose rate brachytherapy. Phys Med Biol. 2020 Dec 7;65(21):215005. doi: 10.1088/1361-6560/aba317. PMID: 33283763.
Download data is not yet available.