Depression and Anxiety as Important Aggravating Factors of Pain in Morton’s Neuroma: A Case Report
This report represents a case of Morton’s Neuroma with episodic severe sharp pain. Initially, the patient was prescribed Naproxen 500 mg twice per day, anti-inflammatory topical cream, as well as massage. In a follow up visit, the patient was still experiencing frequent episodic sharp pain. In detailed patient interview, it was revealed that she has depression and anxiety and suffers from social isolation, which was concurrent with episodes of severe pain. Therefore, she was referred to a psychologist and a community support group and started practicing body relaxation techniques such as guided imagery and breathing exercises. The new treatment strategy had a major impact on improving her symptoms. This report aims to illustrate that depression and anxiety can be one of the main aggravating factors in episodic pain in Morton’s neuroma and removing psychosocial contributors of pain has the potential to decrease the need for more invasive interventions.
- Ruiz Santiago F, Prados Olleta N, Tomás Muñoz P, Guzmán Álvarez L, Martínez Martínez A. Short term comparison between blind and ultrasound guided injection in morton neuroma. Eur Radiol. 2019 Feb;29(2):620–7. doi: 10.1007/s00330-018-5670-1.
- Munir U, Tafti D, Morgan S. Morton Neuroma. In Treasure Island (FL); 2021.
- Jain S, Mannan K. The diagnosis and management of Morton’s neuroma: a literature review. Foot Ankle Spec. 2013 Aug;6(4):307–17. doi: 10.1177/1938640013493464.
- Zabaglo M, Dreyer MA. Neuroma. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021.
- Cetas JS, Saedi T, Burchiel KJ. Destructive procedures for the treatment of nonmalignant pain: a structured literature review. J Neurosurg. 2008 Sep;109(3):389–404. doi: 10.3171/JNS/2008/109/9/0389.
- Adams WR 2nd. Morton’s neuroma. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2010 Oct;27(4):535–45. doi: 10.1016/j.cpm.2010.06.004.
- Edwards RT, Yeo ST, Russell D, Thomson CE, Beggs I, Gibson JNA, et al. Cost-effectiveness of steroid (methylprednisolone) injections versus anaesthetic alone for the treatment of Morton’s neuroma: economic evaluation alongside a randomised controlled trial (MortISE trial). J Foot Ankle Res. 2015;8:6. doi: 10.1186/s13047-015-0064-y
- Matthews BG, Hurn SE, Harding MP, Henry RA, Ware RS. The effectiveness of non-surgical interventions for common plantar digital compressive neuropathy (Morton’s neuroma): a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Foot Ankle Res. 2019;12:12. doi: 10.1186/s13047-019-0320-7.
- Poppler LH, Parikh RP, Bichanich MJ, Rebehn K, Bettlach CR, Mackinnon SE, et al. Surgical interventions for the treatment of painful neuroma: a comparative meta-analysis. Pain [Internet]. 2018 Feb;159(2):214–23. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29189515. doi: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001101.
- Riley DS, Barber MS, Kienle GS, Aronson JK, von Schoen-Angerer T, Tugwell P, et al. CARE guidelines for case reports: explanation and elaboration document. J Clin Epidemiol. 2017 Sep;89:218–35. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2017.04.026.
- Gatchel RJ, Peng YB, Peters ML, Fuchs PN, Turk DC. The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: scientific advances and future directions. Psychol Bull. 2007 Jul;133(4):581–624. doi: 10.1037/0033-2909.133.4.581.
- Modarresi S, Suh N, Walton DM, MacDermid JC. Depression affects the recovery trajectories of patients with distal radius fractures: A latent growth curve analysis. Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2019 Oct;43:96–102. doi: 10.1016/j.msksp.2019.07.012.
- Thompson T, Keogh E, French CC, Davis R. Anxiety sensitivity and pain: generalisability across noxious stimuli. Pain. 2008 Jan;134(1–2):187–96. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2007.04.018.
- Dufton LM, Konik B, Colletti R, Stanger C, Boyer M, Morrow S, et al. Effects of stress on pain threshold and tolerance in children with recurrent abdominal pain. Pain. 2008 May;136(1–2):38–43. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2007.06.012.
- Bushnell MC, Ceko M, Low LA. Cognitive and emotional control of pain and its disruption in chronic pain. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2013 Jul;14(7):502–11. doi: 10.1038/nrn3516.
- Fishbain DA, Cutler R, Rosomoff HL, Rosomoff RS. Chronic pain-associated depression: antecedent or consequence of chronic pain? A review. Clin J Pain. 1997 Jun;13(2):116–37. doi: 10.1097/00002508-199706000-00006.
- Doan L, Manders T, Wang J. Neuroplasticity underlying the comorbidity of pain and depression. Neural Plast. 2015;2015:504691. doi: 10.1155/2015/504691.