Family physician hospitalists: the good and the bad
A hospitalist is the most responsible physician for inpatient care without the responsibility for care post discharge. In Canada, the majority of hospitalists are family physicians which raises concerns in the context of a shortage of family physicians in the community. In this commentary, advantages and disadvantages of the hospitalist model are discussed, with a focus on the necessity of family physician hospitalists. Finally, some challenges for maintaining the family physician hospitalist model going forward are presented.
- Hock Lee K, Yang Y, Soong Yang K, Chi Ong B, Seong Ng H. Bringing generalists into the hospital: outcomes of a family medicine hospitalist model in Singapore. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2011;6(3):115-21.
- White HL, Stukel TA, Wodchis WP, Glazier RH. Defining hospitalist physicians using clinical practice data: a systems-level pilot study of Ontario physicians. Open Medicine 2013;7(3):e74-e84.
- Soong C, Fan E, Howell EE, Maloney RJ, Pronovost PJ, Wilton D, et al. Characteristics of hospitalists and hospitalist programs in the United States and Canada. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management. 2009;16(2):69-74.
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada. Family physicians caring for hospital inpatients: a discussion paper prepared by the College of Family Physicians of Canada Mississauga, ON: Arch Fam Med 2003. p. 42.
- Lee KH. The hospitalist movement – a complex adaptive response to fragmentation of care in hospitals. Annals Academy of Medicine Singapore. 2008;37(2):145-50.
- Smith SD, Sivjee K. Defining training needs, core competencies and future certification for Canadian hospitalists. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2012;184(14):1557-8.
- National Physician Survey. Fast facts: Hospitalist care Canadian Family Physician 2008;54:1145.
- The Ontario College of Family Physicians. Comprehensive and continuous care in a collaborative care environment: challenges for 21st century family medicine and hospitals Toronto, ON 2008.
- Peterson MC. A systematic review of outcomes and quality measures in adult patients cared for by hospitalists vs nonhospitalists. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2009;84(3):248-54.
Download data is not yet available.