Vol. 10 No. 1 (2007)
Emergence of Primary Teeth in Children of Sunsari District of Eastern Nepal
- Anita Gupta
- SS Hiremath
- SK Singh
- S Poudyal
- SR Niraula
- DD Baral
- RK Singh
ABSTRACT: This study assessed the timing and eruption sequence of primary teeth in children of Sunsari district of Eastern Nepal and compared the eruption pattern of males & females between various, ethnic groups.
Method: This cross-sectional study, included 501 subjects, aged 3 months to 60 months selected by simple random sampling method. The determinant variables such as age, gender, ethnicity, and eruption of teeth were recorded.
Results: This study provides a model data on emergence of primary teeth and number of deciduous teeth in these children. This is a first study of its kind in Nepal. The findings of this study will help as a reference data for optimal use in clinical, academic, and research activities, especially for children of Eastern Nepal.
- Pahkala R, Pahkala A, Laine T. Eruption Pattern of Permanent Teeth in a Rural Community in Northeastern Finland. Acta Odont Scand. 1991; 49: 3419.
- Savara BS, Steen JC. Timing and Sequence of Eruption of Permanent Teeth in a Longitudinal Sample of Children from Oregon. JADA 1978; 99: 209-14.
- Al-Jasser NM, Bello LL Time of Eruption of Primary Dentition in Saudi Children. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2003; 15;4 (3):65-75.
- Lysel L, Magnusson B, Thilander B. Time and Order of Eruption of the Primary Teeth. A Longitudinal Study. Odontol Revy. 1962; 13:217-234.
- Ramirez O, Planells P, Batberia E. Age and Order of Eruption of Primary Teeth in Spanish Children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1994; 22(1):56-9.
- Hitchcock NE, Gilmour AI, Gracey M, et. al. Australian Longitudinal Study of Time and Order of Eruption of Primary Teeth. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1984; 12(4):260-3.
- Lunt RC, Law DB. A Review of the Chronology of Eruption of Deciduous Teeth. J Am Dent Assoc. 1974; 89(4):872-9.
- Logan WHG and Kronfeld As quoted in Eruption of teeth: local, systemic and congenital factors that influence the process. Ralph E McDonald and David R Avery editors' dentistry for the child and adolescent. Sixth edition. Mosby year book Inc London; 1994: 186-215.
- Baghdady VS, Ghose LJ. Eruption Time of Primary Teeth in Iraqi Children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1981; 9(5):245-6.
- Lavelle CL. A Note on the Variation in the Timing of Deciduous Tooth Eruption. J Dent. 1975; 3(6):267-70.
- Robinow M. The Eruption of Deciduous Teeth. Factors Involved in Timing. Env Child Health (Spec Issue) 1973; 19:200-5.
- Mugonzibwa EA, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM, Laine-Alawa MT, van't Hof MA. Emergence of Permanent Teeth in Tanzanian Children. Community Dent Oral Epidemol. 2002; 30:455-62.
- Clemens EMB, Davids-TE, Pickett KG. Time of Eruption of Permanent Teeth in British Children in 1947-8. Br Med J. 1953; 1:1421-1424.
- Damodar Swami, Mishra VK, Bahl L, Rao MC. Age Estimation from Eruption of Temporary Teeth in Himachal Pradesh. JFMT 1992; 9(3-4):3-7.
- SPSS Inc. The Statistical Package for the Social Sciences- 11. Chicago, IL: SPSS; 2001.
- Darlberg AA. Criteria of Individuality in the Teeth. J Forens Sci. 1957; 2:389-421.
- Houpt MI, Adu-Aryee S, Graninger RM. Eruption Times of Permanent Teeth in the Brong Ahafo Region of Ghana. Am J Orthod. 1967; 53(2):95-9.
- Lee MMC, Low WD, Chang KS. Eruption of the permanent dentition of Southern Chinese children in Hong Kong. Arch Oral Biol 10(6):849-61; 1965.
- Magnusson TE. Emergence of Primary Teeth and Onset of Dental Stages in Icelandic Children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1982; 10(2):91-7.
- Hayes RL, Mantel N. Procedures for Computing the Mean Age of Eruption of Deciduous Teeth. J Dent Res. 1958; 38:938-947.
- Sato S, Ogiwara Y. Biostatistic Study of the Eruption Order of Deciduous Teeth. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 1972; 12(1):45-76.
- Fergusson AD, Scott RB, Bowkin H. Growth and Development of Negro Infants: Comparison of Deciduous Dentition in Negro and White Infants, a Preliminary Study. J Pediatr. 1957; 50:327-331.
- Friedlaender JS, Bailit HL. Eruption Times of the Deciduous and Permanent Teeth of Natives on Bougainville Island, Territory of New Guinea: a Study of Racial Variation. Hum Biol. 1969; 41(1): 51-65.
- Roche AF, Barlela DH, Maritz JS. Deciduous Eruption in Melbourne Children. Aust Dent J. 1964; 9:106-108.
- Sandles HC. The Eruption of Deciduous Teeth. J Pediatr. 1944; 25:140-147.
- Yun DJ. Eruption of Primary Teeth in Korean Rural Children. Am J Phys Anthropol. 1957; 15:261-268.
- McGregor IA, Thomson AM, Billewicz WZ. The Development of Primary Teeth in Children from a Group of Gambian Villages, and Critical Examination of its Use for Estimating Sge. Br J Nutr. 1968; 22(2):307-14.
- Doering CR, Allen MF. Data on Euption and Caries of Primary Teeth. Child Develop. 1942; 13:113-119.
- Garn SM, Smith BH. Patterned Asymmetry in Tooth Emergence Timing. J Dent Res. 1980; 59(9):1526-7.
Download data is not yet available.