Morphometric Characteristics of the Conal Coronary Artery
The right conal (conus) artery either presents as the first ventricular branch of the right coronary artery (RCA) or arises directly from the aorta, in which case, it is considered the third coronary artery (TCA). Morphometric characterization of this artery is important for interpretation of coronarography, surgical revascularization of myocardium and embryological interpretations. Eight out of 23 hearts presented the TCA (34.8%). The difference in the frequency of the TCA between the sexes was statistically insignificant (p>0.05). In all the specimens, the ostium of the TCA was to the left of and superior to the ostium of the RCA. The supernumerary (third) coronary artery formed Vieussens' arterial ring in 50% of the cases with the TCA, while the conal branch of the RCA formed the anastomosis with the conal branch at a higher frequency (63% of the cases). The ratio of external diameters of the RCA and TCA was 2.84 ±0.78, while the ratio of external diameters of the RCA and its conal branch was 2.61±0.74. The difference in the ratios was statistically insignificant (p>0.05). There were no findings indicating that the presence of the TCA could be detrimental or advantageous when compared to the classical coronary scheme (right and left coronary arteries originating from the aortic sinuses). Based solely on the TCA's morphological features, there is insufficient evidence to suggest that the presence of the TCA per se, is associated with a known clinical or disease state.
- Pejkovic B, Bogdanovic D. Arterije i vene srca. Savremena administracija. Beograd, 1995. p. 8-21.
- Hadziselimovic H. Krvni sudovi srca. Jugoslovenska medicinska naklada. Zagreb, 1980. p.21-27.
- Bogers AJ, Gittenberger-de Groot AC, Poelmann RE, Peault BM, Huysmans HA Development of the origin of the coronary
- arteries, a matter of ingrowth or outgrowth? Anat Embryol (Berl). 1989;180(5):437-41.
- Hutchins GM, Kessler-Hanna A, Moore GW Development of the coronary arteries in the embryonic human heart. Circulation 1988 Jun;77(6):1250-7.
- Katsumi Ando, Yuji Nakajima, Toshiyuki Yamagishi, Sadamu Yamamoto, Hiroaki Nakamura. Development of Proximal
- Coronary Arteries in Quail Embryonic Heart. Circulation Research. 2004;94:346.
- .CoroneP, CoroneA, DorX, Binet JP. Coronary arteries and their variations. An embryological explanation C R Acad Sci III. 1984;299(11):451-8.
- Benslimane A, Funck F, Bellorini M, Lefevre T, Guillard N, Jacoly CJ.Single coronary artery arising from the right coronary
- sinus.Report of two cases.Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 1998 Dec;91(12):1503-7.
- Takano M, Seimiya K, Yokoyama S, Okamatsu K, Ishibashi F, Uemura R, Hata N, Mizuno K. Unique single coronary artery
- with acute myocardial infarction: observation of the culprit lesion by intravascular ultrasound and coronary angioscopy. Jpn Heart J. 2003 Mar;44(2):271-6.
- Koizumi M, Kawai K, Honma S, Kodama K.Anatomical study of a left single coronary artery with special reference to the
- various distribution patterns of bilateral coronary arteries. Ann Anat. 2000 Nov;182(6):549-57.
- Becker AE: Congenital coronary arterial anomalies of clinical relevance. Coron Artery Dis 1995 Mar; 6(3): 187-93.
- Cieslinski G, Rapprich B, Kober G: Coronary anomalies: incidence and importance. Clin Cardiol 1993 Oct; 16(10): 711-5.
- Kurjia HZ, Chaudhry MS, Olson TR. Coronary artery variation in native Iraqi population.Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn. 1986;
- Schlesinger MJ, Zoll PM and Wessler S (1949). The conus artery: A third coronary artery. Am Heart J, 38: 823-836.
- Waller B.F, Schlant R.C. Anatomy of the Heart, Hurst's The Heart. McGraw-Hill, London, 1986. p. 84-86.
- Vilallonga JR. Anatomical variations of the coronary arteries: The most frequent variations. Eur J Anat. 2003; 7 Suppl. 1: 29-41.
- Ben-Gal T, Sclarovsky S, Herz I, Strasberg B, Zlotikamien B, Sulkes J, Birnbaum Y, Wagner GS, Sagie A. Importance of the
- conal branch of the right coronary artery in patients with acute anterior wall myocardial infarction: electrocardiographic and angiographic correlation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997 Mar 1;29(3):506-11.
- Gupta SK, Abraham AK, Reddy NK, Moorthy SJ.Supernumerary right coronary artery.Clin Cardiol. 1987 Jul; 10(7):425-7.
- Conte G, Pellegrini A. On the development of the coronary arteries in human embryos, stages 14-19. Anat Embryol (Berl). 1984;169(2):209-18.
- Miyazaki M, Kato M. Third coronary artery: its development and function. Acta Cardiol. 1988;43(4):449-57.
- Edwards BS, Edwards WD, Edwards JE. Aortic origin of conus coronary artery. Evidence of postnatal coronary development. Br Heart J. 1981 May; 45(5):555-8.
Download data is not yet available.