Challenges in Diagnosis, Treatment and Follow-up of Patients Presenting with Central Nervous System Infections in a Resource-Limited Setting
Central Nervous System (CNS) infections are associated with significant mortality and morbidity. Accurate diagnosis is necessary for prompt treatment and increased chances of survival. However, there are many challenges to correct diagnoses in resource-limited settings, including the HIV epidemic, late presentation of symptomatic individuals, limited availability of laboratory diagnostic tests as well as treatment, and inadequate access to funds accompanied by lack of financial support from developed countries. This article presents case reports of patients admitted to the Mulago Hospital in Kampala, Uganda that exemplify challenging diagnoses of tuberculous meningitis (TBM), cryptococcal meningitis (CM), toxoplasmosis, and primary CNS lymphoma (PCNSL). Also included is a literature review of the pathology, diagnosis, and treatment of TBM, CM, toxoplasmosis, and PCNSL in immunocompromised patients.
- UNAIDS. 2004 Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic: 4th Global Report. Geneva: December 2004.
- Steinbrook R. The AIDS epidemic in 2004. N Engl J Med 2004;351(2):115-7.
- Rowland-Jones SL. Timeline: AIDS pathogenesis: what have two decades of HIV research taught us? Nat Rev Immunol 2003;3(4):343-8.
- Bergemann A, Karstaedt AS. The spectrum of meningitis in a population with high prevalence of HIV disease. QJM 1996;89(7):499-504.
- Hakim JG, Gangaidzo IT, Heyderman RS, Mielke J, Mushangi E, Taziwa A, Robertson VJ, Musvaire P, Mason PR. Impact of HIV infection on meningitis in Harare, Zimbabwe: a prospective study of 406 predominantly adult patients. AIDS
- Viale P, Petrosillo N, Castelli F, Cadeo B, Carosi G. Algorithm-based management of pneumonia in HIV-1- infected patients. Lancet 2002;359(9303):359-60.
- CIA World Factbook. www.immigration- usa.com/wfb2004/uganda/ uganda_people.html. 2004.
- Wakhweya A, Kateregga C, Konde-Lule J, Mukyala R, Sabin L, Williams M, Heggenhougen K. Orphans and Their Households: Caring for Their Future - Today: The Government of Uganda Ministry of Gender, Labour, and Social Development; 2002.
- Judas T. Uganda: The Secret War. The New York Review 2004;51(14):62-64.
- Ministry of Health - Uganda. Statistical Abstract. April 2003.
- Mulago Hospital Complex. www.mulago.or.ug. Kampala.
- Quinn TC. The academic alliance for AIDS care and prevention in Africa. Hopkins HIV Rep 2001;13(6):1-4.
- Academic Alliance for AIDS Prevention and Care in Africa. www.aaacp.org.
- Zahra LV, Azzopardi CM, Scott G. Case report Cryptococcal meningitis in two apparently immunocompetent Maltese patients. Mycoses 2004; 47(3-4): 168.
- Thwaites G, Chau TT, Mai NT, Drobniewski F, McAdam K, Farrar J. Tuberculous meningitis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2000;68(3):289-99.
- Thwaites GE, Chau TT, Stepniewska K, Phu NH, Chuong LV, Sinh DX, White NJ, Parry CM, Farrar JJ. Diagnosis of adult tuberculous meningitis by use of clinical and laboratory features. Lancet 2002;360(9342):1287-92.
- Porter L, Hao L, Bishai D, Serwadda D, Wawer MJ, Lutalo T, Gray R. HIV status and union dissolution in sub-Saharan Africa: the case of Rakai, Uganda. Demography 2004;41(3):465-82.
- Renold C, Sugar A, Chave JP, Perrin L, Delavelle J, Pizzolato G, Burkhard P, Gabriel V, Hirschel B. Toxoplasma encephalitis in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Medicine (Baltimore) 1992;71(4):224-39.
- Wilson M, Remington JS, Clavet C, Varney G, Press C, Ware D. Evaluation of six commercial kits for detection of human immunoglobulin M antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii. The FDA Toxoplasmosis Ad Hoc Working Group. J Clin Microbiol 1997;35(12):3112-5.
- Skiest DJ. Focal neurological disease in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Clin Infect Dis 2002;34(1):103-15.
- Collazos J. Opportunistic infections of the CNS in patients with AIDS: diagnosis and management. CNS Drugs 2003;17(12):869-87.
- Porter SB, Sande MA. Toxoplasmosis of the central nervous system in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. N Engl J Med 1992;327(23):1643-8.
- Masliah E, DeTeresa RM, Mallory ME, Hansen LA. Changes in pathological findings at autopsy in AIDS cases for the last 15 years. Aids 2000;14(1):69-74.
- Mamidi A, DeSimone JA, Pomerantz RJ. Central nervous system infections in individuals with HIV-1 infection. J Neurovirol 2002;8(3):158-67.
- Fessler RD, Sobel J, Guyot L, Crane L, Vazquez J, Szuba MJ, Diaz FG. Management of elevated intracranial pressure in patients with Cryptococcal meningitis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1998;17(2):137-42.
- Levy RM, Bredesen DE, Rosenblum ML. Neurologic complications of HIV infection. Am Fam Physician 1990;41(2):517-36.
- Burns DK, Risser RC, White CL, 3rd. The neuropathology of human immunodeficiency virus infection. The Dallas, Texas, experience. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1991;115(11):1112-24.
- Cunha BA. Central nervous system infections in the compromised host: a diagnostic approach. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2001;15(2):567-90.
- Berenguer J, Moreno S, Laguna F, Vicente T, Adrados M, Ortega A, Gonzalez-LaHoz J, Bouza E. Tuberculous meningitis in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. N Engl J Med 1992;326(10):668-72.
- Whiteman M, Espinoza L, Post MJ, Bell MD, Falcone S. Central nervous system tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients:clinical and radiographic findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1995;16(6):1319-27.
- Phuapradit P, Vejjajiva A. Treatment of tuberculous meningitis: role of short-course chemotherapy. Q J Med 1987;62(239):249-58.
- Girgis NI, Farid Z, Kilpatrick ME, Sultan Y, Mikhail IA. Dexamethasone adjunctive treatment for tuberculous meningitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1991;10(3):179-83.
- Pfaller M, Zhang J, Messer S, Tumberland M, Mbidde E, Jessup C, Ghannoum M. Molecular epidemiology and antifungal susceptibility of Cryptococcus neoformans isolates from Ugandan AIDS patients. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 1998;32(3):191-9.
- French N, Gray K, Watera C, Nakiyingi J, Lugada E, Moore M, Lalloo D, Whitworth JA, Gilks CF. Cryptococcal infection in a cohort of HIV-1-infected Ugandan adults. Aids 2002;16(7):1031-8.
- Oursler KA, Moore RD, Chaisson RE. Risk factors for cryptococcal meningitis in HIV-infected patients. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 1999;15(7):625-31.
- Cohen BA. Neurologic manifestations of toxoplasmosis in AIDS. Semin Neurol 1999;19(2):201-11.
- Levy RM, Rothholtz V. HIV-1-related neurologic disorders. Neurosurgical implications. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 1997;7(3):527-59.
- Raez L, Patel P, Feun L, Restrepo A, Raub W, Cassileth P. Natural history and prognostic factors for survival in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)-related primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL). Crit Rev Oncol 1998;9:199-208.
- Fine HA, Mayer RJ. Primary central nervous system lymphoma. Ann Intern Med 1993;119(11):1093-104.
- McGowan J, Shah S. Long term remission of AIDS-related primary central nervous system lymphoma associated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in patients with AIDS. AIDS 1998;12:952-953.
- Antinori A, Ammassari A, De Luca A, Cingolani A, Murri R, Scoppettuolo G, Fortini M, Tartaglione T, Larocca LM, Zannoni G and others. Diagnosis of AIDS-related focal brain lesions: a decision-making analysis based on clinical and neuroradiologic characteristics combined with polymerase chain reaction assays in CSF. Neurology 1997;48(3):687-94.
Download data is not yet available.