Vol. 21 No. 1 (2023)
MJM MedTalks (S01E01): A Conversation with Dr. Samir Shaheen-Hussain
April 9, 2023
McGill Journal of Medicine (MJM) MedTalks is a Podcast series where members of the McGill Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences are interviewed on topics related to career, research, advocacy and more. The aim of MedTalks is to open a space where faculty members can share information and advice for trainees in healthcare and medical sciences. In this episode, McGill medical student Susan Wang interviews Dr. Samir Shaheen-Hussain about his new book, “Fighting for a Hand to Hold* Confronting Medical Colonialism Against Indigenous Children in Canada”. The conversation is divided into three parts: 1) personal questions about Dr. Shaheen-Hussain’s work in social justice, 2) questions regarding the book, in particular on aspects of anti-indigenous systematic racism and its interplay in Canada’s current healthcare system, and 3) advocacy and burnout-related advice for medical trainees. This podcast interview is also accompanied by a book review and reflection, titled “A Medical Student’s Perspective on Fighting for a Hand to Hold”, available at mjmmed.com. The show notes include a transcript of the podcast, time stamps, and resources and references. This podcast is produced and edited by MJM’s social media team, Tom Lee, Saman Arfaie and Susan Wang and transcribed by S. Wang.
- • Fighting for a Hand to Hold Website* https://fightingforahandtohold.ca/
- • Shaheen-Hussain, Samir. 2020. Fighting For a Hand to Hold. McGill-Queen's Press-MQUP.
- • Wang, Susan Joanne. 2021. “A Medical Student's Perspective on ‘Fighting for a Hand to Hold”. McGill Journal of Medicine. DOI*10.26443/mjm.v19i1.830. https://mjm.mcgill.ca/article/view/830
- • Stevenson, Verity. 2017. MUHC investigating death of Indigenous woman who left hospital without being treated. CBC News Montreal. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/muhc-indigenous-woman-kimberly-gloade-1.4221827
- • Nakonechny, Simon. 2018. Mi'kmaq woman's death after leaving MUHC without treatment highlights systemic problem, doctors say. CBC News Montreal. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/mi-kmaq-woman-s-death-after-leaving-muhc-without-treatment-highlights-systemic-problem-doctors-say-1.4565177
- • Swanky, Tom. 2012. The True Story of Canada’s “War” of Extermination on the Pacific. Dragon Heart Enterprises
- • Swanky, Tom. 2016. The Smallpox War in Nuxalk Territory. British Columbia* Dragon Heart.
- • Mosby, Ian. 2013. “Administering Colonial Science* Nutrition Research and Human Biomedical Experimentation in Aboriginal Communities and Residential Schools, 1942-1952.” Social History 46*145-72
- • Moore, P.E., H.D. Kruse, F.F. Tisdall, and R.S.C. Corrigan. 1946. “Medical Survey of Nutrition among the Northern Manitoba Indians.” Canadian Medical Association Journal 54*223-33.
- • Macdonald, N.E., R. Stanwick, and A. Lynk. 2014. “Canada’s Shameful History of Nutrition Research on Residential School Children: The Need for Strong Medical Ethics in Aboriginal Health Research.” Pediatrics & Child Health 19, no. 2*64. doi:10.1093/pch/19.2.64.
- • Stote, Karen. 2015. An Act of Genocide: Colonialism and the Sterilization of Aboriginal Women. Winnipeg* Fernwood Publishing.
- • Grekul, Jana, Arvey Krahn, and Dave Odynak. 2004. “Sterilizing the ‘Feeble-Minded’*Eugenics in Alberta, Canada, 1929-1972.” Journal of Historical Sociology 17, no. 4* 358-84.
- • Lechat, Robert. 1976. “Intensive Sterilization for the Inuit.” Eskimo no. 12 (Fall/Winter)* 5-7.
- • Viens Commission (Public Inquiry Commission on Relations between Indigenous Peoples and Certain Public Services in Québec). 2019. Final Report, Government of Quebec. https://www.cerp.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/Fichiers_clients/Rapport/Final_report.pdf
- • MMIWG (National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous women and Girls). 2019. A Legal Analysis of Genocide: A Supplementary Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Supplementary-Report_Genocide.pdf
- • UN (United Nations). 1951. “Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.” Approved and proposed for signature and ratification or accession by General Assembly resolution 260 A (III) of 9 December 1948; Entry into force on 12 January 1951. https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide-convention.shtml
- • Godin, Melissa. 2020. “She Was Racially Abused by Hospital Staff as She Lay Dying. Now a Canadian Indigenous Woman’s Death is Forcing a Reckoning on Racism”. Time Magazine. https://time.com/5898422/joyce-echaquan-indigenous-protests-canada/
- • Gerlach, Alison J. 2012. “A Critical Reflection on the Concept of Cultural Safety.” Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy 79, no. 3* 151-8. doi:10.2182/cjot.2012.79.3.4
Download data is not yet available.